How many times have I been told to ‘stop dreaming and face reality’? How many times has and will the word ‘reality’ be used to crush my dreams?
Light bulbs, airplanes, electricity, computers, Internet, cars, etc., these were dreams people had. One can only wonder how many times they were told to ‘stop dreaming and face reality’.
Thomas Edison succeeded at inventing incandescent light bulb after a thousand trials!
Charlie Chaplin was initially rejected by Hollywood studio chiefs because his pantomime was considered "nonsense." Today, he is considered one of the greatest comedians of all time (and he didn't need to speak!).
How many have told me how impossible my dream is?
- Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
- - Lord Kelvin (1824-1907), ca. 1895, British mathematician and physicist
- ...no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery, and known forms of force, can be united in a practical machine by which man shall fly long distances through the air...
- - Simon Newcomb (1835-1909), astronomer, head of the U. S. Naval Observatory.
- I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years. Two years later we ourselves made flights. This demonstration of my impotence as a prophet gave me such a shock that ever since I have distrusted myself and avoided all predictions.
- - Wilbur Wright (1867-1912) [In a speech to the Aero Club of France (Nov 5, 1908)]
- Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
- - Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French military strategist, 1911. He was later a World War I commander.
- There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
- - Kenneth Olsen, president and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.
- Many 'learned men' said their dreams was impossible. Yet, their dreams are now part of our daily lives.
Their dreams, now achieved, make us realise that THE DREAM OF YESTERDAY ISTHE REALITY OF TODAY.
Murphy’s Law – If anything can possibly go wrong, it will go wrong
‘Why is it so hard for me to accomplish my dream? I feel like everything is against me’ The truth is that we need to ‘bust our behinds’ (forgive the language) to achieve our dreams.
It doesn't matter what they say. My dreams might not make sense to them now. They might call it impossible.
I am the only thing stopping me from making my dream reality. I will believe in myself. I believe that I will accomplish my dream. When I yakubise, I will try, try, try again and I will succeed.
It is time to stop living the rat race. It is time to make my mark on the world with my God-given gifts. It is time to start living my dream.
View LDP's blog for more on living your dream.
Sidenote – This will be my last post till 20th September, 2010. It's exam time. End of session exams. I'm so excited and getting ready to move over to Idi-Araba (by God's grace).